Holy Cross Glorification Church8648 Balatonkeresztúr, Ady Endre Str. 4.
To the name of Kristóf Festetics (1696-1768) interlaces the merit not just to renovate the church that was an eyesore of ruins still in the middle of the century, but also to build the most beautiful church of the surrounding appropriate to the taste of the world at that time, enlarging the original, with the usage of the walls of the Middle Ages (in Baroque-rococo style). The church was being built from 1753-1758 according to the plans of lordship architect Kristóf Hofstadter. Nowadays the travellers (arriving from Barcs-Marcali, even from Budapest-Nagykanizsa) pass by the Roman Catholic Church renewed in its outside, which is decorated on the Southern side by a so-called „violin-window”. These got their names from their typical form, contributing to the architectural beauty of the church. The main altar of the church coruscating in day-time light by the three big violin windows is dominated by the cross. More valuable sandstone statues can be found in the groomed churchyard. Here can be found the monument erected for the victims of the First and Second World War, and the statues erected for the honour of prince primate Mindszenty and of Lajos Kossuth.
Our church can be visited:
- from Easter to the first day of September
every day from 10:00-18:00 o’clock,
- from the first day of September to Easter
every day from 10:00-16:00 o’clock.
On weekdays: 9:55, 11:55, 16:55 and 19:55
Sunday: at 11:55, 14:55, 16:55 and 19:55 3-3 tunes ring from the 64
Address: 8648 Balatonkeresztúr, Ady Endre str. 4.
8648 Balatonkeresztúr, Ady Endre Str. 4.